Wednesday, October 2, 2013

From the desk of Bob Smith...


 

One of my favorite Television Shows from the 80's was “The A Team,” and the best line, “Don't you love it when a plan comes together?” Well, nothing could be closer to the truth describing last Sunday's PATH to the Cure 5K walk/run for the fight against breast cancer. More than three thousand enthusiastic walkers and runners took to the downtown streets of Huntington to strut their stuff, and indeed they did. With every outfit, make-up, and hairdo imaginable, creativity abounded. Some participants ran like the wind, others, including yours truly, huffed and puffed all the way to the end. At times I was tempted to call for the rescue (aka party) shuttle, but for fear of ridicule, I, along with my wife Billie and her sister Kathie trudged along to the finish line. The rest of the Advantage Toyota team left us in the dust.

What a day of fun and satisfaction, knowing the money raised will be going to help women in our community who can't afford mammograms. A huge tip of the hat to all the volunteers who worked countless hours to bring it all together.

As I staggered into the Big Sandy Superstore Arena, we were treated to a classic country/western concert by Kellie Pickler, a strong lady whose had her own share of adversity. And to top it all off, a very nice photo memento of Kellie, Billie and me. Considering my sub-par performance, I will immediately begin training for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment