Tuesday, May 7, 2013

From the desk of Bob Smith


Somewhere back in the annals of Rock n' Roll there was a song with the title, “Express Yourself.” I have no idea what the other lyrics were so I could be in trouble but here's my twist on that particular piece of music. Get it off your chest, let others know what's going on inside. I've heard it said that if you bottle things up, you can hurt yourself. And too, it's a good thing when a person is able to tell others what's going on without the fear of some confidence being revealed. Expressing yourself can have a negative effect if what you say is hurtful to other people.

On the other hand, it could be a delightful experience. Just recently I was at St. Mary's Medical Center with my wife. We were visiting some people from our church and we walked up to the information desk to ask for a room number. Without missing a beat, the lady behind the counter said, “I really like my Toyota. I've been driving it for 16 years.” Don't you just love it when people are friendly and personable? They light up in the process of expressing themselves. I missed a wonderful opportunity by not asking if she wanted to buy a new one. By the way, I am giving the same advice to myself, because I could l stand a little improvement in this area, as well. Express yourself. It could be a very positive encounter on both ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment