Tuesday, April 30, 2013

From the desk of Bob Smith...
I've retired four times in my working life, most recently as Director of the Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce. People often say, “Bob, can't you keep a job?” Yes, I really can. It seems doors keep opening whenever there's a lull in the action. Could it be divine intervention?

One of the things I have contracted from my wife Billie is her passion for keeping the community where we live sparkling and clean. Billie heads up a non-profit group called Operation TLC (Tidy-up Lawrence County). The group is currently involved in three clean-ups a year. Most recently 75 volunteers showed up and proceeded to pick up 260 bags of litter along the roads and highways in eastern Lawrence County. It was a huge effort by a group of people with the same passion. The volunteers also provide flowers at designated locations as the seasons change. Operation TLC has also endorsed the county effort of removing dilapidated and vacant homes primarily along Rockwood Avenue in Chesapeake.

Eastern Lawrence County is following a strong example being set by the city right across the river. Huntington appears to on the right track with recent efforts to get rid of trash and junk in people's yards and on front porches. The city is also attempting to join the national America in Bloom effort. Three cheers for Huntington.

I wholeheartedly believe in comebacks. They stir emotions and get people moving in the right direction. Education is the key. We can accomplish much more than we could ever imagine.

By the way, I'm really enjoying my fifth career as commercial spokesman for Advantage Toyota. I strongly endorse an active life style. Figures show that retirement is not good for your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment